Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Donegal Manor

We stayed at the Donegal Manor B & B when we first came to Donegal. It is located on N15 about a two kilometers outside of Donegal Town. The road behind the Manor led  up a small hill and ended in an courtyard to a farm. The road was lined with wildflowers.
















The suit of armor moved from the steps into the entranceway several times, yet I never saw anyone move it. It's a mystery.





We were told by one of our hostesses that, when she was a child, she was told Foxgloves were called Fairy Thimbles.

4 comments:

  1. I've heard that name for foxgloves - fairy thimbles.

    Did you get regaled with stories of the fairies? We did. I don't think my Irish genes weren't working properly because I didn't believe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but our longest discussion with the natives was about genealogy. he tone was extremely serious and I sat back while KS was grilled by the Kilcar genealogy association. She stood up to the questioning, established her bona fides, and left them with a puzzle they promised to reseach. I expected no less of KS. The association was impressed and very gracious.

    As for pixies, perhaps my daunting Scottish Presbyterian demeanor discouraged pixie talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meanwhile, back at Donegal Manor, we had excellent food (the hostess runs a cooking school there some of the time), great comfort. The hosts, Sian & Michael built their B&B overlooking the Bluestack mountains, just outside Donegal town. Best dinner we had on the entire trip, too. Oh, this sounds like a travel endorsement!

    It was fun to talk with Sian about their plantings and see the wild and cultivated stuff running together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opp. I meant fairies, not pixies.

    ReplyDelete